Project 2: John Muir Landscape Animation
Length: Approximately 8 Seconds
One Week – Due beginning of class through class on September 11th
For this project, read the first chapter of John of the Mountain, The Unpublished Journals of John Muir and choose one small section/date that speaks to you and animate the landscape described. Muir’s use of verbose and flowery language should give you a visual entry-point in how to approach the tone of your animation. You can choose to be extremely subtle or exaggerate the actions contained within your animation.
- Set your film size to 1920 x 1080 pixels, 12 fps.
- Black and White, No Color. Use either the pen or pencil tool, larger than 2pt.
- Background can be white or texture of your choice.
- At least one scene change. Wide shot to a close up.
- The landscape should be based on research. This journal takes place in 1868 and in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas in California/Nevada. You should look at images or videos of the Sierra Nevada, how structures might have looked in the mid 1800’s (if you choose to include one), how animals move, how water flows through a gorge, etc.
Examples of different styles of landscape in animation